Monday, September 22, 2008

Don't Be Alarmed. . .


But I've been knitting! I know it's a shock as it's been almost a year since I've truly sat down and spent any time knitting. It all started with a really good audio book, one that I just couldn't stop listening to, more about that later.

The yarn in this project is malabrigo, kettle dyed pure merino wool, in apple green. It's a worsted weight and a dream to work with. The pattern is one I found online, it's actually a poncho pattern, you knit two pieces and then attach them to make the poncho. I loved the pattern, but knew I'd never wear a poncho, especially in Florida so I decided to knit just one section and use it as a shawl. That I'll use. It's a fun project to knit, not very hard but enough of a pattern to keep me awake.

When I picked it up again to work on Friday night, I realized that my stitch counter was missing. (That darn Brutus! He NEVER chews on anything except my stitch counters, for some reason he really likes them. Go Figure! On top of that, the post-it note I was using to mark my place on the pattern was no where to be found either! Really, what do I expect after leaving it so long? It took me a while to find my place and start knitting again. A trip to Michael's was in order to make sure it didn't happen again. I bought a magnetic board made for counted Cross stitching. It came with a magnetic rule, 3 magnetic strips and holds my place in the pattern perfectly. Another bonus was the hole in the board - I attached my stitch marker so it's safe from Brutus!

The audio book that brought on this burst of knitting? "A Rose for the Crown", by Anne Easter Smith, unabridged (a little over 24 hours long, but oh, so good!). It's historical fiction, one of my favorite genres, and tells the story of Richard, Duke of Gloucester, later King Richard III, through the eyes of the mother of his 3 illegitimate children, the mistress he grew up with, was deeply in love with but could not marry because of her peasant roots. It sounds like a love story and it is, but it's so much more! It tells of war, personal tragedy, political intrigue and how life was lived in those days. It was so good! I need to check to see if she's written any others.

I'm also reading Philippa Gregory's new book, "The Other Queen", on my Kindle. Reading two historical fiction's isn't easy! I had to put this aside until I finished "A Rose for the Crown". I read it last night before I went to bed, it's pretty good so far!


I chatted with Bryn yesterday, he's in Spokane, WA where he said it was windy with a light rain! He starts his training today and is looking forward to it. Since he wasn't where he could watch TV, I updated him on the Ryder Cup and a few football games. The things we do for our kids, I tell you!

(I know- another old picture, but I like it!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a handsome picture of Bryn. And look at that Brutus looking out the window! He just had to get into the picture too, eh? Love the sweater. Such a pretty green and very pretty pattern.

Anonymous said...

Bryn looks AWESOME in this picture - I can imagine how proud you are! And, OMG, you're KNITTING?! Bestill my heart! I LOVE this pattern, LOVE this color. Nice work! You've rocketed way ahead of me in knitting skills, chicky. Nice job!